Ceremonial vehicle belonging to the Embassy of King João V to the Court of Louis XIV in 1715. The Ambassador was the Count of Ribeira Grande.
The body is closed with glass windows and green silk curtains. Profusely decorated in woodwork, the four corner panels display images representing the Continents. The main panels display shields, bearing the Royal Coat of Arms. The hood is topped by a bronze crown surrounded by smaller crowns upheld by winged dragons. The rear displays a medallion crowned with the King’s initials. The interior is very luxurious, upholstered in green and gold brocade, and the floor is covered in tortoiseshell and bronze cut, in the technique of André-Charles Boulle. The suspension springs have gilt bronze protectors engraved with figures of little boys destroying weapons in an allusion to Peace. The harness buckles are in engraved bronze with alternating images of lion heads and winged dragons, symbolizing Royal Power and the House of Bragança.
